School goes back into session in the City of Dalton Friday, August 7th. The Dalton Police Department reminds motorists that with students returning to school, School Zone speed limits will be back in effect. The DPD Traffic Enforcement Unit along with the Patrol Division will be stepping up enforcement of posted speed limits in the school zones. The following areas have posted school zones:
- Dalton High School – Waugh Street from the east entrance of Manly Street to the west entrance of Manly Street. The posted school zone speed limit is 30 mph during the hours of 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM. There are flashing lights at both ends of the school zone to warn motorists of the zone.
- Dalton Middle School – Cross Plans Blvd. from the By-Pass to Dalton Middle School. The posted speed limit is 25 mph at all times.
- Roan Street Elementary School – Martin Luther King Blvd. from just west of Grimes Street to Grade Street. The posted school zone speed limit is 30 mph during the hours of 7:30 AM to 8:30 AM and 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM. There are flashing lights at both ends of the school zone to remind motorists of the zone.
- Blue Ridge Elementary School – Morris Street from Harris Street to just east of Fourth Ave. The posted school zone speed limit is 25 mph when the warning lights are flashing.
- City Park Elementary School – Thornton Ave. from School Street to Crawford Street. The posted school zone speed limit is 25 mph when the warning lights are flashing.
- Brookwood Elementary School – Central Ave. from Frances Street to Brown Street. The posted school zone speed limit is 25 mph at all times.
- Westwood Elementary School – Trammel Street from Tyler Street to Richards Street, which is a one-way street heading north and on Jones Street from Richards Street to Tyler Street, which is a one-way street heading south.
School Zones are put into place to get motorists to slow down in these areas because of the high volume of vehicular and pedestrian traffic with students arriving too or leaving the schools. The department reminds motorists to slow down in these areas and obey the school zone speed limit to ensure that this will be a safe school year for students. Please pay close attention to any students walking or playing in the areas around the schools, just in case a child darts into traffic.
As always, the Dalton Police Department reminds motorists to buckle up, and obey all posted speed limits in an effort to prevent accidents and serious injuries.